Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A magical week in Fl.



Last week was vacation week!!! My family and I traveled to Orlando, Florida (a fifteen hour drive) to visit the famous Disney & Universal theme parks. And let me tell you, there are a TON of them! I thought vacations were supposed to be a time to relax? Lol But I can’t complain because I had the most awesome time!! What better way to share this experience than with family and loved ones.


We arrived Sunday and spend the day wandering the resort. They had a lake full of swan boats (a dream come true for me)! We didn’t have time to ride them but it’s definitely on my future to do list. Monday morning we headed straight to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. We visited the tree of life, explored the forest trails, rode the wildlife express train and even watched Finding Nemo- the musical.
My TOP FAVORITE thing to do here: Festival of the Lion King. The energy, colors, music, costumes & dancing blew me away! The show actually reminded me a bit of Cirque du Soleil. And if you know anything about me, you know I’m a Cirque du Soleil girl.

Tuesday we woke up bright and early. I was most excited for this day because we were going to Magic Kingdom! I’ve dreamt of riding in flying elephants and spinning tea cups for as long as I can remember. This park is HUGE! We didn’t get to do everything we wanted but overall the day was a success. My cousin, Livingston, is an intern at Disney (he’s Goofy) so we met up with him first thing. He led us to to a meet and greet with Mickey & Minnie Mouse; followed by three story book princesses. My niece, Mariah, was star-struck and asked for all of their autographs. Too cute! We watched parades, visited Cinderella’s castle, sailed in pirate ships, went through a haunted mansion, jungle cruise and a comedy show hosted by Mike Wazowski. The Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor was hilarious! I loved the way they interacted with the audience members. TOP FAVORITE: The Magic, the Memories, and You. This spectacular projection show is full of visual effects displayed along the architecture of Cinderella’s Castle. The colorful images dance to music followed by animated and actual fireworks. It was pure delight!

ps. Did you know Magic Kingdom closes at 2am?! And yes, we stayed until closing. Mind you I didn’t get my 8 hours of sleep that night. Wednesday morning was great! My step-mom, Veronica, made a delicious French toast breakfast; a terrific way to begin our day at Universal Studios. I had the most fun here. There was so much to do for adults as well as children. Mariah was actually tall enough to ride almost all of the rides! We invested in fast passes and got to do everything with little to no wait. (Don’t skip out on this if it’s within budget.) Some of the rides we went on included: Shrek 4-D, Men in Black- alien attack, E.T. Adventure, the Simpson’s ride, Terminator, Jaws and a Day in the Park with Barney. For me, seeing Barney and the gang up close was extraordinary. I absolutely adored it! Little Nate got to meet Curious George. It was the first character he wasn’t afraid of getting his photo taken with, adorable! TOP FAVORITE: Disaster! A Major Motion Picture Ride...Starring YOU. We went behind the scenes of Disaster Studios to learn the secrets of filming. Before entering, audience members were chosen to star in a movie. My dad was picked for the role of handsome male. Hehe! They film the scenes in front of you and at the end of the tour there is a viewing of the movie. SO FUNNY! Seriously, go here!

Thursday morning we were off to our fourth park, Universal’s Islands of Adventure. This is where they have the new The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Before we made it there we rode Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges and got soaked from head to toe! We didn’t mind much because the weather was scorching hot. Afterwards my sister, Rebecca, Veronica and even Mariah rode Jurassic Park River Adventure. I was exhausted (and a little scared) so I sat this one out and took a nap. The fast passes were more expensive here so we decided to save our money. Next up Hogwarts castle!! Normally you have to wait to get into this area of the park but they let us in through an exit. (lucky us!) I couldn’t believe my eyes; everything had been brought to life. I must mention how tasty the Butterbeer is! Try it frozen, I promise it won’t disappoint. TOP FAVORITE: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. The line is an amusement in itself as you make your way through the familiar classrooms and corridors of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. By the time you reach the ride you forgot you were waiting. Take flight on this thrilling adventure as you soar above the castle grounds coming face-to-face with magical creatures. I’m not going to lie I covered my eyes when the Dementors arrived. This part scared the willies out of me!! Not only was this my top favorite ride here, it was also my top favorite attraction of all the theme parks I visited. I had never seen anything like it; a one-of-a-kind ride experience!


Friday we spent the day at Cocoa Beach. I wasn’t too impressed with the water. I was expecting it to be bright blue. I’ve never seen blue water and desperately want to! Regardless it was a fun, relaxing day in the sun. The kids had a blast playing in the waves. The only down side was my very first sunburn. It’s still in the healing process but I can proudly say my golden tan comes from the beaches of Florida.


I ate everything from pizza- to churros. All mouth-wateringly yummy but my cruise is in 8 weeks! It’s time to get in shape. Jamaica Island here I come!

You can view my entire photo album here flickr.

4 comments:

  1. this looks like so much fun! i cant wait to get to the harry potter world and try some butter beer. such sweet photos of you and your family!

    also, i never knew Magic Kingdom closed at 2am! I wanna go back and stay until they kick me out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, i know! there is so much to do you lose track of all time anyway. thank you for the sweet comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m a Cirque du Soleil guy

    I loved your reviews and how you posted your favorite thing at each place. That was awesome that your dad got picked for Disaster. That ride was recently updated from Earthquake so I guess its better now.

    Your review on Harry Potter ride was about what I have been hearing. Its a great ride, worth the wait because of everything you see and do. I also heard it can be scary.

    I guess no Epcot or Disney Hollywood Studios trip this time around? If or when you get back, you must go to Epcot (you would love it) and Disney Hollywood Studios is another place like Universal which is more for Adults

    Last note: did you not jump on any of the coasters? Because we are supposed to ride Manta one day, I never forgot about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Epcot and Hollywood Studios are on our to do list the next time we visit Florida! I've heard good things :) No, I didn't ride most of the coasters. It was difficult with the little ones. But Im sure I'll get around to it one day! Thank you for reading (my most loyal reader).

    ReplyDelete