Wednesday, June 29, 2011

second stop: Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

The waters here are too shallow to dock the ship so we boarded water taxis to bring us ashore. A pleasant surprise and a beautiful island. Not only was the water breathtakingly blue #2 on my 23 before 24 list. the area was clean and safe. Upon arriving, we headed straight to The Cayman Turtle Farm. The farm is home to over 11,000 Green Sea Turtles, ranging in size from six ounces to six hundred pounds each! It was crazy; they actually allow guests to pick up the reptiles. I held a medium sized one until it started flapping its flippers around like a maniac. Eek!! I also pet one of the gigantic sea turtles. I’m not an animal person at all, so this was a HUGE deal for me.

Afterwards, we went across the street to the Dolphin Discovery Center. A rain shower greeted us as we changed changed into our swimsuits. The guides assured us it would stop once we were in the water. And sure enough as we stepped foot into the pool, the rain vanished. So there I was entering a pool with a real life dolphin! and fish. #14 on my 23 before 24 list. I was terrified… fish give me the creeps!! I did my best to ignore the fish and focus on preparing for a smooch with Alegria (our dolphin friend). I was soooo nervous but luckily I was first in line. Alegria then kissed me on the cheek followed by a kiss on the lips. Fyi… dolphin lips are NOT pretty, people! I was hesitant to actually kiss her but I figured when will I ever get another opportunity? So I kissed her wrinkly, white mouth. Yuck, haha! We then swam around while Alegria performed more tricks for us. It was quite the experience but you better believe I was the first one rushing out of the pool when the show ended. I was so proud to have participated in things I would have normally resisted. All in all it was a wonderful experience! I definitely recommend the dolphin excursion. And if they didn’t charge an arm and a leg for the photographs I would have proof of said kiss. 

Our drivers here were kind and well mannered. I enjoyed their company and felt welcome on their island. We spent the remainder of the day shopping and sight seeing. Grand Cayman is such a priddy place. I would love to visit again!

2 comments:

  1. Love all your pics! Your face in the pic where you are holding the turtle is classic! How wonderful that you are trying out all of these new things. I love all the pics of the blue water...I miss that! Sooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete