Thursday, July 21, 2011

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet."

Growing up with the name Vilma wasn’t easy. My classmates and teachers always had a difficult time pronouncing it. Even I myself struggled. Velma, Vilma, Veeelma. (It doesn't help that the name sounds like it belongs to an 80 year old woman.) As time passed, I grew tiresome of the teasing and mispronunciations... Wilma, Thelma, Zelma. So one day, during seventh grade, I finally mustered up the courage to eliminate it. The fact that it was mid-year didn’t bother me. I simply could not wait another moment! I visited each of my teachers and insisted that they address me by my middle name. Christine wasn’t an unusual name nor was it common. I liked that.

Although my school identity changed, my family never stopped calling me Vilma. I was named after my aunt/god mother so the pronunciation was already well known and I was never teased. But after a while I felt like I was living a double life. 


I have made many attempts to reveal both names but it’s been tricky. To this day I don’t fully love the name my name, Vilma. But it’s mine and it deserves to be acknowledged. And even though it makes me cringe to hear it aloud… please feel free to use it. Maybe it just needs a little getting used to. Besides, I have always wanted to be Scooby -Doo's Velma for Halloween. She was a hip, hip lady.

6 comments:

  1. at least you last name was not Little. Do you know how many short jokes I heard over the years. But now I use my last name to my advantage. Everyone calls me Mr. Little and they remember it well. Plus it always has people ask me why do they call you Mr. Little. To which I reply "its my last name". Its a great conversation starter is my point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Christa! And I've always loved your name Ryan. I'm glad you see the good in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your first name. I am totally old-fashioned about names and them having meaning and being named after someone and you are definitely named after a great lady. Trust I know how it's is to be teased...my first name rhymes with whore. Yeah, had to deal with that all through jr. high and high school, but I always held my head high....I had generations of Leonors to make proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only known one other Vilma. She was my Mothers friend and she was so beautiful. We did pronounce it Veelma, because my Mother is Spanish/Mexican/American Indian/French Canadian/Irish...it goes on and on. Basically, my mom has a Latin backround, and well, so did Vilma. Both of them spoke Spanish before English. I only named one of my daughters a spanish name, Gabriella, and she is the most Gringo of the bunch. Oh well. Embrace your name. It is so unique and pretty. I mean when I first heard the name Hermione, I was like,,,"wha"??? Now I want to name my next daughter that. JK, no more kids.

    ReplyDelete