Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What the Cuss?

I've never been a fan of cursing. Ever. I find it awfully vulgar and demeaning. It's basically an offensive way of attempting to make a point. Besides almost every curse word sounds ugly (including the word cuss). It breaks my heart a little each time I hear a loved one curse. Same goes for smoking a cigarette. I just don't support that type of behavior, But that's just me. I don't call my girlfriends "my b*tches" and or use the f word in every other sentence. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I have never used foul language. Every now and again when I get angry I'll accidently let one slip. I usually feel lousy after saying it and a little embarrassed. This makes me wonder why others use curse words... Does it help relieve stress? or is it simply a learned habit? As a child, my sisters and I were never allowed to cuss. Remember the television show Bevis and Butthead? We don't. Our version was 'Bevis and BH'.  lol While that may have been a little extreme, I deeply value my parents for forbidding me from using bad words. I definitely will be keeping that rule for my children. Words are beautiful and so full of meaning. That's one of the main reasons I enjoy writing. So since I can't seem to understand the subject maybe you can help... What's your opinion when it comes to a dirty mouth? are you for or against? do you care at all?

ps. Fantastic Mr. Fox had a wonderful way of poking fun at the matter. SPOILER ALERT!

4 comments:

  1. Beavis and Butthead are coming back in October to MTV.

    As far as cussing goes, I never like to do it unless I am really drunk. I find it weird when I hear a girl cuss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cussing is unattractive. Although, i do tend to swear a lot more then i'd like. Not that i do it all the time. I only do it if i'm angry or if i got like stung by a bee or something hehe. My husband has a bad mouth it irritates me a lot, i think that is something that i need to work on. This post made me realize that!

    In our sea of love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that those who cuss as part of their regular speech, are saying something very negative about themselves. What ever happened to "putting your best foot forward". I believe that a slip is acceptable AND at times can even create great impact, but used everyday, low class, poor form, makes you look ignorant. Your parents were right, and you are a very good writer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you. I have never been comfortable using cuss words and I honestly don't like to hear other people say them. I'm glad other people share this opinion!

    ReplyDelete