Wednesday, May 1, 2013

New things get old.

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.”  Ellen Goodman


I am beyond grateful to have visited countries outside the US. Traveling has helped shape who I am and taught me numerous, invaluable life lessons. There is one lesson in particular I cherish most...

Comfort is Not Happiness.

We live in a materialistic society and define our lives by how much stuff we have. We buy houses with more space than we need, bigger TV’s, luxury cars, designer clothes, and the latest electronic gadgets.

I fear the American Dream has become a nightmare. No matter how much we have, we always seem to want more. I’ll admit it; I've considered trading in my dream car (I purchased my dream car 3 year ago) for a newer version of the same EXACT model. But then I talk some reason into that ego of mine and remind myself there is absolutely no need. After 5 years I am finally approaching the debt free finish line and I personally declare a life driven by happiness rather than money. I believe personal relationships, experiences, meaningful work and giving back to the community are life’s greatest joys. Don't you?

3 comments:

  1. i totally agree with you. and this week i have gotten into extreme arguments with the moms at nikos school. disagreements over things that are unnecessary purchases. purchases that bring pressure into families, but people are obsessed with "things".
    but i can be guilty of it too at times. i wish it was easier to move somewhere else where there is more freedom to be yourself without having to impress others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s difficult because I was born and raised here so I've always wanted things my peers had. Lifelong habits are the worst to break but I have faith with practice anything can happen!

      What worries me is when I’ll have to teach my future children the lessons I am currently trying to teach myself. They deserve a genuine happy life.

      WE ALL DO :)

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you! I've definitely tried to sell, donate, etc a lot of the random "stuff" we have, over the past few months. I just want the necessities and simplification.
    With that said, it's ok to save and splurge on something small every now and again, or replace things if broken (and that aren't mendable). Each individual needs to do what's right for them, but this is a good reminder to really account for what we consume.

    ReplyDelete