Wednesday, September 4, 2013

on living alone...


Today we say good-bye to the house I grew up in. It’s a bittersweet farewell- letting go of something that encompasses endless memories. But my sisters and I are no longer children and our little home has served its purpose. It’s time to move forward and welcome change. Change is good.

I live alone now.
In a one-bedroom apartment. And I love it. I love everything about it.
Don’t get me wrong, I'm extremely excited for the day I get to move in with the man I’ll one day walk towards with flowers in my hair and a prayer in my eyes. But until then this is my little corner of the world to run wild and free.
It was odd talking with friends and family about what to expect. To my surprise many people have never lived alone. My mom and older sister included. I wonder if it has to do with personality types. I've always been the girl that lives inside her head. Loneliness is not new to me. In fact, I’m grateful for it. Sure, living alone is terrifying at times but I like to think its teaching me to be courageous. To be more independent.
Sometimes I worry about whether my music is too loud– can my neighbors tell that I play the same three songs again and again? I wonder if they can hear my television and know just how many episodes of Dexter I've watched since moving in.
I guess you could say I've adopted a few quirky habits- like drinking champagne in the shower and well, let’s face it I can’t remember what it's like to wear pants. But I'm not complaining.

All in all, it’s only been a month and a half so we’ll see how I’m holding up come December. Winter tends to be quite lonesome. Have you ever lived alone? Would you ever consider it?

1 comment:

  1. I love how you drink champagne in the shower. I don't know how I'd do living alone. I love being alone, but I also am used to being an RA on my floor of fifty residents or living in my apartment with six roommates.

    Also, I always listen to songs on repeat and wonder if people think that's weird.

    ReplyDelete