Tuesday, December 1, 2015

30 Days of Meditation: A Simple Guide to Meditation


What is meditation? For so long I believed meditation was a tool to handle stress and tune out. But actually- the true purpose of mediation isn’t to get away from it all, but to get in touch with it all. To not only relief stress but to find peace within. So, mediation is really about clearing space and making room for what is needed. It’s about that quiet space between each thought.

Your core consciousness – whether you call it the spirit or God is the window to the infinite world. It’s a field of possibilities, pure potential, infinite imagination and creativity! It’s a place where you become the observer of your thoughts and that my friend, is the power of intention.
Where: Choose a safe place where you will not be disturbed. 
When: I personally found mornings to be most beneficial. Life feels remarkably quiet upon waking.
How: (this one has a few important steps)
  • I attempted to mediate in lotus position but had some difficulty when my foot kept falling asleep. Ouch! After a few weeks my body adjusted and I was able to sit in the position for longer periods of time. Being comfortable is most important! Although, I don’t recommend lying down because our minds are conditioned to sleep and staying awake becomes a disturbance.
  • Thoughts are going to dance around your head, especially in the beginning – this is normal. Don’t try to do anything with them – simply let them be. If you find yourself thinking about each passing thought just return to focusing your awareness on your breath. As you progress you'll notice yourself slipping into the space between thoughts more and more.
  • When we pay attention to our breath, we are in the present moment. Take long, deep breaths at your own pace. Find a natural rhythm and allow your breath to flow in and out easily and effortlessly.
Duration: 20-30 minutes was favorable for my lifestyle but everyone is different.

I hope you will find some of these tips helpful in your own practice. Having a set goal of 30 days definitely helped me to stay motivated and focused. Before November I tried fitting in mediation here and there but the true benefits are an effect of consistent practice. During this challenge I noticed myself becoming particularly aware of my surroundings. Sights, smells, sounds – it was all so vibrant! I love moments like that, glimpses of true bliss.

What was the strangest part of this experience? Well, one morning after mediating something told me to release facebook. Not just deactivate the distraction (which I did multiple times throughout the year) but to rid my life of it completely. I deleted each “friend” one by one and couldn’t remember the last time I spoke to most of them. It seems mediation also helped me to clear space in my daily life. What a wonderful surprise! With results like that, there’s no question I will continue to explore this peaceful practice.


Do you mediate? Tell me about your experience in the comments below :)

December's Challenge: 30 Days without a Cell Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment